Recipe after the photos!
3 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract (see Additional Notes)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips (for dipping)
- Place an oven rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Toast the coconut (optional). For deeper coconut flavor and extra-crispy macaroons, spread the coconut on the baking sheet and toast for about 5 minutes, or until just barely starting to show some color. Let cool slightly before using.
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk until the whites and sugar are completely combined and the mixture is frothy.
- Pour the coconut over the egg white mixture and stir until the coconut is evenly moistened.
- Line the baking sheet with a silpat or parchment. With wet hands to prevent sticking, shape the coconut mixture into small balls about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Space them an inch or so apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake the macaroons until golden, 15-20 minutes.
- Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir and heat for another 20 seconds.
- Once melted, take the macaroons and dip the bottoms and place on parchment paper.
- Place in the fridge for about an hour until chocolate hardens.
Macaroons can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week.